Following the path of people in the company is certainly challenging, but it can also give great satisfaction. Practical guide for those who dream of pursuing a professional career in this field
For the address bookIdentikit Professionswe tell you what it meanswork in the HR Department of a company.
If your desire is to work with people and for people, helping them to fulfill themselves within their professional career, if you like challenges, real ones, why juggle the world of work by bringing together the needs of companies and those of people today is far from simple, if you want to make a difference in society, well, working in the Human Resources or HR Department (acronym of Human Resources) could be made just for you.
So let's try to understand together how this sector works, which are the most suitable studies, the tasks that should be carried out, the roles to be filled and, of course, how much a Human Resources employee earns.
What are the main tasks of HR
Working in the Human Resources Department involves a very wide range of activities. Obviously, the smaller the organization, the more a single employee will be required to be able to deftly juggle all functions. Larger and more structured HR departments, on the other hand, provide for a greater specificity of roles. So let's see what the tasks are:
A new IT culture to support the magnetic workplace: trends and technologies
- Let's start frompersonnel selection(in Englishrecruiting), which must be managed in all its aspects: from the analysis of the profiles to be searched for in the short and long term, to the creation of the advertisement up to the accompaniment of the selected candidate in his entry into the company (called theonboarding). However, recruiting is only the first step in a series of activities to support the entire journey of people in the company.
- To elaboratetraining programsbased on the needs of the organization and individuals and identify paths for thecareer developmentof workers are two strategic tasks of the HR management, "strategic" because they look to the future of the company.
- Payroll processing, bonus management, holiday management, hiring and dismissal procedures: these are theadministrative taskswhich the HR management is called to deal with.
- Today more than ever thephysical and mental well-beingof the worker has assumed a leading role. Health problems, stress, difficulties in family management, are all elements that can compromise the relationship between the worker and the company up to lead to the resignation of the resource. For this reason, those who choose to work in the Human Resources Department must be prepared to help support employees in these circumstances, also identifying paths and initiatives that can be of support.
- Minimize the risk of accidents within the workplace by verifying the continuous adaptation of spaces and equipment to current regulations on safetyoccupational health and safety, as well as taking care of the training of workers in this area so that they know how to recognize risks and protect themselves from them, is one of the responsibilities of the Human Resources officer.
What are the roles within an HR department
As we have just seen, the tasks entrusted to those who decide to work in Human Resources can be really many and different from each other. For this reason, in HR departments, especially the broader and more structured ones, there is a hierarchy of roles. Simplifying the pyramid we can say that we have at the topl’HR Manager, they followl’HR Generalistel’HR Specialist.
- L’HR Manageris the one who has the task of managing the HR department by coordinating all the activities within it.
- L’HR Generalisthe is the one who has a broad knowledge of all the aspects dealt with within the Human Resources division, from selection to administrative management.
- L’HR Specialist, as the word itself suggests, has a specialized and in-depth knowledge of a specific aspect dealt with within the HR division. I amHR SpecialistiRecruiter(people who deal with personnel selection), HR Trainers (people who deal with training), HR Payroll (people who deal with payroll management), and so on.
The training path to work in Human Resources
It is possible to acquire the preparation necessary to work in the HR Department by attending specific degree courses, such as the master's degree course held by the University of Milan inManagement of Human Resources.
However, even those who have already completed a job in the humanities − psychology, sociology, educational sciences, philosophy and literature −, but not only that, can think of building a professional career in this field by attending one of the various and qualified Masters in Human resources. Among those available today we point out, by way of example, iHR masters organized by the 24 Ore Business Schooldesigned for different levels of learning and availability of time.
How much does someone who works in the HR Department earn
Naturally, the salary of a Human Resources expert depends on the role covered and the level of seniority. In general, based on the information reported by the Glassdoor platform, we can say that in Italy it isaverage annual salary of an HR Specialistis 30,000 euros, loaverage annual salary of an HR Generalistis 36,000, while loaverage annual salary of HR Manageris 50,000 euros.
Rate the quality of this item
Your opinion is important to us!
HR responsibilities. HR's primary activities include recruitment, administration, compensation and benefits, training and development, and employee relations and performance management. However, they often do much more.What roles in HR make the most money? ›
- Chief Human Resources Officer. 2021 Median Annual Salary: $179,520. ...
- Compensation and Benefit Managers. 2021 Median Annual Salary: $127,530. ...
- Human Resources Manager. ...
- Training and Development Manager. ...
- Management Analyst. ...
- Human Resources Professor. ...
- Labor Relations Specialist. ...
- Human Resources Specialist.
HR responsibilities. HR's primary activities include recruitment, administration, compensation and benefits, training and development, and employee relations and performance management. However, they often do much more.Is a masters degree in HR worth it? ›
Find The Right MSHRM Program For Your Career Goals
Earning a master's in HR is a big commitment, but it's absolutely worth it if your goal is to position yourself to solve the complex problems at the forefront of human resources. Finding the right program can make earning your degree easier than you think.
Human resources professionals with a bachelor's degree and limited professional experience can enter the field as human resources specialists. The median human resources salary for HR specialists is nearly $62,000 per year, with the top 10% earning over six figures, according to the BLS.Is HR a good paying career? ›
The average income for an HR professional in the United States is about $70,000 per year, according to Glassdoor and Indeed even for entry level positions. Those with a few years of experience, who earn in the top 10% make more than $100,000 each year. You enjoy working with people. 2.What skills do you need to be in HR? ›
- Communication skills. Communication is a critical soft skill for HR professionals. ...
- Decision-making skills. HR involves a lot of decision-making. ...
- Training and developmental skills. ...
- Empathic skills. ...
- Finance skills. ...
- Organizational skills. ...
- Business management skills. ...
- Leadership skills.
As an HR professional, I enjoy being able to help people fulfill their potential by hiring the right people and then helping them thrive in their jobs. HR allows me to express my personality every day. I love the day-to-day tasks we engage in and helping to solve the problems that may arise.What are duties of HR assistant? ›
A Human Resources (HR) Assistant is a professional who is responsible for the daily administrative and HR duties of an organization. They assist with recruitment and record maintenance for payroll processing as well as provide clerical support to all employees.Is it better to get an MBA or masters in HR? ›
If you are unsure about your future and the role you wish to play in a business, you should consider earning an MBA to pursue different positions within a company. If you know that HR is your future and want the skills necessary to lead and innovate, a master's degree in HR will provide you all the tools and knowledge.
Is a Human Resources Degree Hard? HR degrees can challenge students with their blend of business and human relations training. However, learners with proper preparation and study habits should find this program no more difficult than other business disciplines.Is a bachelors degree in HR worth it? ›
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers in human resources management typically require a bachelor's degree and have a median annual pay of $126,230. CBS News and US News Careers ranked HR positions among the 100 best jobs in America in 2021 and 2022.What is the most difficult job in HR? ›
- Identifying and hiring candidates for open jobs. ...
- Managing remote and hybrid work. ...
- Managing benefits and perks programs. ...
- Ensuring pay equity. ...
- Staffing HR roles within the organization.
Human resource leaders love their job, but they're stressed and burned out—and more than half of 1,000 professionals surveyed are considering leaving the profession, according to a recent report.Is HR a low stress job? ›
Perkbox surveyed around 16,000 respondents about their respective professions. Results shown that 79% of HR professionals were negatively impacted by their job! I've read the full study and I'm not surprised HR has topped the rankings - HR is stressful!Can HR make 100k a year? ›
Yes, you can make $100,000 per year as a human resources manager. The chances of earning over $100k for a human resources manager are actually pretty good because the highest-paid human resources manager positions typically pay at least $118,000 per year.What is the highest salary for HR payroll? ›
Highest salary that a HR Payroll can earn is ₹9.0 Lakhs per year (₹75.0k per month).Which companies pay highest HR? ›
- The average HR manager salary in Microsoft Corporation approximately INR 35.85 LPA.
- The average HR manager salary in Marico is approximately INR 28.31 LPA.
- The average HR manager salary in ITC is approximately INR 25.13 LPA.